Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Good Bye Arch Nemesis and Hello Old Friends

Is it a good thing that I have unconsciously stopped counting the number of weeks since I was sprung? I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I survived April 8th... the last official day I received my paycheck. For 8 weeks I was fixated on that date like a dog on a bone.  What would happen once that direct deposit stopped coming in?   

Of course the 8th came and went, and you know what I am much happier & less stressed because I don't have a date to fixate on.... other than May 31st when my daughter is out of school for the summer.  I am wondering what do you do to entertain a 6 year old for almost 3 months...but I digress.

After the 8th I found myself saying goodbye and hello all within the same week.  First I said goodbye to one of my arch nemesis.  One glorious morning as the rays of sunshine were streaming through the bathroom windows, I was looking in the mirror and noticed that I looked different but couldn't figure it out.  Sure I have the grey hairs on my head that are reproducing like the rabbits in our backyard, I have lost a few pounds, but I couldn't quite figure it out.... then it hit me.... I had been wasting tons of money over the past several years, to no avail, only to find out that the simple act of being sprung from the Big House was enough to banish those freakish circles from under my eyes.  Is there an unemployment fairy that flits through the night granting random wishes to those in need?  If so please keep coming back I have several other areas that need a little sprucing up ("up" being the operative word).  So many thanks to the fairy and adios to those much hated purple saucers!

My second revelation came when I was going to meet someone for lunch.  After 8 weeks of pretty much elastic-wasted pants, sweatshirts, no make-up, and slippers I thought it would be a nice change to put on clothes with buttons.  This led me deep into the recesses of my closet to discover some old friends... my dressy, girly shoes!  Hello old friends!  In the perfect world my nice shoes would be meticulously lined up on shoe racks but let's face it our house is no utopia & since I have two shoe-loving girls, who love nothing more than to put on my shoes and clunk around on the bathroom tile, I usually find them in large piles in the closet.  And forget about having the same 2 shoes in one pile... that would be nirvana.  Nevertheless... there they were the few pairs of shoes that I splurged on in my Days of Income.  A quick dusting and we were off.

So good bye to freakish circles and hello to girly shoes!  That imaginary concrete balloon didn't fall once the paychecks stopped and my world didn't end.. in fact for some odd reason I can honestly admit I have not one shred of stress in my life right now.  How oddly perplexing!

No comments:

Post a Comment