Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Give a Haus Frau a Break... and By the Way... Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!  I have had a bit of  a hiatus from blogging, not due to actual full time employment but more from lack of topics to blog about.  That said, as my mother always said... be careful what you wish for.  And as luck would have it I have had no shortage of let's call them "experiences" to share... so I will start at the beginning.

This New Year's we decided we were going to start all new traditions, because our old New Year's traditions just didn't come through for us in 2011.... so 2012 was time for starting new.  We went to the local zoo here on New Year's Eve to see the lights and topped off our evening with confetti poppers in the living room.  It was every bit the Rager a 6 and 2-year old could hope for. We were in bed at a reasonable hour and actually got a good night's sleep despite the fireworks in our street at midnight.

New Year's day was off to a great start.  Kids were getting along, football games were on the TV, and we were sitting back in front of a roaring fire when the phone rang.  It was our favorite neighbor asking us if we had been outside that morning.  No, we hadn't been outside except to get the paper.  So she replies "well you may want to come and take a look at your garage door."

Well low and behold upon inspection, some mentally challenged imbecile decided to spray paint a 6-foot high black penis on our white garage door and then sign their name (or as I learned "their tag") on our siding. What?  It was at this point that I truly realized the benefits of being kicked out of the Big House almost one year ago.  If I had still been incarcerated I would have totally lost my cool, but this year I just laughed and starting taking pictures and sending them out.

The best was when our 6-year old asked her usual inquisitive questions about every part of the picture... all of which my husband deferred to me.  So this New Year's we learned about mineral spirits and the wonders of good old fashioned elbow grease.  Most of the artwork came off but we will need to repaint in the spring when it is warmer.  I thought about posting a picture of the artwork with this blog but was concerned about copyright infringement because anything that superbly done would have been protected by the artist.  If you are interested, just send me an email and I will happily share the snapshot of how we started off 2012.

I hope it is not an omen.... 2012 has to be better than 2011, right?  We still ate our black eyed peas for good luck, a ton of gomae for money, but perhaps we should have worn yellow underwear like they do in Brazil for a prosperous new year, or break dishes on our doorstep like the Danish.

Who knows?  All I do know is that you have to laugh at the heinous 6-foot penis on your garage door and any other ridiculous thing to come along.  So to start off the Haus Frau on a good note in 2012 I have opened a Twitter account for the old girl and will starting tweeting the absurdities I find as I continue my unemployment quest.

Stayed tuned for my fun with AT&T.....

No comments:

Post a Comment