Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another Stage of Unemployment: DT's

Last week while doing the weekly shopping I found myself in a peculiar situation.... ripping my purse apart for a 25 cent coupon for bleach.   25-freaking cents!   I was a raving lunatic over 25 cents.... this is not normal.  It then occurred to me that I was going through a withdrawal of sorts.... I now have to live on a very, very restricted budget.  

A recruiter that I am working with told me that I would get angry one day and I guess last Friday was my day.  I must be on the delayed anger plan.  How dare that wicked company lay me off?  After so many, many years of school and paying off debt we had finally arrived at the glorious place where we could shop with reckless abandon and pave our driveway with cash... well we didn't have it as good as the second but from my current point of view, my Civic traveled that golden asphalt road daily and we had graduated from Walmart to Target dang it!

To add to my hysteria I am also finding myself squeezing every little bit of shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc that I can possibly get out before tossing it and driving my family nuts.  I also turn off lights, turn down the heat, and ration water.   Does this sound like a mentally competent person?   I think not.  Although I do have to give a shout-out to Suave hair products.  I bought two big-ass vats of shampoo and conditioner and my hair looks remarkably decent when I actually break out the hair dryer, which is not too often because I live in elastic-waisted pants and sweatshirts these days.

I am now obsessed with the women who claim to feed a family of 15 with $25 a week because they have coupons.  How do they do that? I have not idea but to be quite honest they always have this semi-stoned look about them that tells me they have been sneaking behind the woodshed for a little something.   Perhaps that is my next adventure in unemployment.... finding out what exactly goes one behind the woodshed. 

But back to my tumultuous shopping trip.... in case you were wondering how I pulled myself together and fended off the DT's throughout the rest of my shopping trip..... I first found my coupon and second I proudly bought  the competitors products every single time.  Take that big, obnoxious food company!



No comments:

Post a Comment