Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Next Stage of Unemployment: Hoarding

There are many emotional stages that you go through as part of being intentionally liberated against one's will from a secure paycheck every two weeks... there has been absolute euphoria, deep sleep, astonishment at your lack of judgement for choosing to work for such an incompetent company, yadda yadda yadda, but I have now experienced a new one... hoarding.

As I am nearing the end of my not-so-generous severance package I find myself "stocking up" on everything.  It is as if I am preparing to be locked away for an extended period of time with no access to stores or humankind.  Please note that I am not self-diagnosing myself as a hoarder because I do not want my husband to sign me up for the A&E reality show "Hoarders" in an attempt to make some extra cash off of his old lady... although I must admit I do find the show oddly fascinating.

Last week we received the highly anticipated coupon book from Costco.  I have to admit I love getting the coupons because I feel like I am really saving money.  Where else can you get a jumbo pack of toilet paper for $15 after the $2 coupon? It is great.  Needless to say, as I was walking the aisles yesterday, I found myself picking up things that I absolutely do not need, but in my survivalist state-of-mind I convinced myself that the world is going to end in a couple of weeks and we need jumbo packs of everything.  That said, I am now the proud owner of a year's supply of toilet cleaner thanks to that $3 coupon,  a boatload of all-purpose and Clorox cleaner, a humongous box of Bounce fabric sheets, 4 bags of charcoal, and more crackers and chips than my family can eat in a year.  As I type this I am suddenly aware that I have bought a lot of cleaning supplies.... is this an unconscious attempt for me to avoid becoming the next star on Hoarders?

As expected, after loading all of this into my little pregnant roller skate of a car, I experienced buyer's remorse.  It wasn't that I had spent the money as I saved 10% on my bill with the coupons (Yeah Me!!) but I suddenly realized that I do not have a house cleaning service (many thanks to the behemoth food/bev company) to use all of these bargains and that it will be me doing the spit and polish in the months to come.  Augh!

A clean house is the sign of a boring person.  ~Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment